When I was homeschooling my kids, my office was in our lower level, where all of our school stuff was located. Now that we have made the transition to traditional school, I have to admit, it was a little depressing being downstairs without my kids. ;( I really wanted to be upstairs, looking out a beautiful window. But, they were all spoken for! But, we did have a little sliver of space behind our couch for a small desk. The problem was, it was right in the middle of our living space, so we didn’t want it to look like an office.
We found the PERFECT little table at Home Goods. It was broken, but with a little love, we were able to make it as good as new. I found the lamp at Goodwill for $2.99. Big score!
8 Keys to Make a HOME OFFICE Work Anywhere:
- Find a desk that can get larger when you are working at it. You don’t want to be frustrated by a lack of space, but you don’t want it to be too unwieldy when you aren’t working at it. (If you look at the picture above, the pic on the computer the desk is folded in. See the difference in the working space? Love.)
- Go paperless. (I will be doing a post about this soon! It’s a challenge, but so worth it!)
- Be realistic about all the office stuff you need.
- Make a plan on dealing with the stuff you need to use. Dump the rest. You’ll never miss it.
- If you do have some items that can’t be stored where you work, get creative. Can it go in a nearby dresser? Can you store it all on a rolling cart that rolls out when you need it?
- If you are making your office in a public space, are you going to be able to work with interruptions?
- Go as wireless as possible. Wires are eww! (thanks, Jimmy Fallon!) i.e. ugly printer! Store it anywhere else.
- Learn how to use Evernote and use it for everything. Anything you write on a sticky note can be sent to Evernote. It’s totes awesome. Michael Hyatt really inspired me here! Here is a post about how he uses Evernote. Prepare to be amazed. And if that is too overwhelming, here is how a normal person, like myself, uses Evernote! 🙂
Where is your home office? Do you love it or hate it? Shout it out in the comments below! If you liked this post, don’t miss another one. Subscribe to our weekly newsletter today!
Hope you have a wonderful time, thinking outside of the box and making a wonderful home-office where ever you enjoy being!
SIGN UP TODAY for the MINI-MARRIAGE CHALLENGE
Register for a FREE 5-Day Mini-Marriage Workshop. It's packed full of great lessons, encouragement, activities and printables to give you a happy marriage!