We have a great French Market in the downtown area of our town. It’s so fun to take a lazy Saturday morning to browse fresh produce, handmade soaps, local honey, fresh breads, plants…too much to list for you! There is only one caveat, my kids have gotten into the habit of wanting a huge bag of kettle corn, a box of hot, freshly-made doughnuts and a nice, refreshing glass of a lemon shake-up. They DO have good taste! 😉
They say necessity breeds invention? Well, so does a momma who doesn’t want to spend all her spending money on things that can be injested in one minute flat. So, I set out to make our own lemon shake-ups. Turns out, I can make a killer jar for under a dollar.
First, make up a batch of simple syrup:
1 cup water
1 cup granulated sugar
(You could infuse lavender which would be divine! My kids are purists, so no lavender here. Why, oh why do they have to spoil all my fun? 😉
- Stir & bring it to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Allow it to cool before putting it into a jar.
- Stick it in the fridge. It should keep, approximately, forever.
P.S. Remember to label it or else it will end up in your omelet because you thought it was your leftover egg whites. Not that I am speaking from personal experience, or anything!
LEMON SHAKE-UP RECIPE
This is a very unscientific recipe, feel free to adjust to your own liking!
- Fill a big ‘ole honking jar with ice.
- Pour in 1/4 cup of the simple syrup.
- Squeeze an entire lemon into the jar. Use whatever contraption you can find to get as much deliciousness as possible into that jar! Your jar will only be about 1/3 full right now.
- Fill with ice cold water.
- Taste & add more sweetener, if necessary.
- Shake it up!!
- Drink it down.
Welcome to my new summer addiction. Yum.
SIGN UP TODAY for the MINI-MARRIAGE CHALLENGE
Register for a FREE 5-Day Mini-Marriage Workshop. It's packed full of great lessons, encouragement, activities and printables to give you a happy marriage!