- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter or extra-virgin coconut oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1/2 lb. new potatoes, tiny cubes
- 1 Tbs. green curry paste, or to taste (optional)
- 1 lb. asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch segments
- 1 14-oz. can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt, or to taste
- 1 1/4 c. of water
- Juice of a lemon or lime
- to serve (topping ideas): grated hard-boiled egg, herbs,
- crumbled whole-grain crackers or croutons, crème fraiche
- In a large soup pan over medium-high heat add the butter and onion. Stir until the onion is well coated, and allow to sauté until translucent, a few minutes. Stir in the potatoes, and cook until completely tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the curry paste, and then the asparagus. Allow to cook another minute or two, and then add the coconut milk, salt, and water, adding more water to cover if needed. Allow to simmer until the asparagus is tender, 2-3 minutes, and then puree using a blender or hand blender until the soup is completely silky smooth.
- This next part is important (with any soup) - make any needed adjustments. Add more water if the consistency needs to be thinned out a bit. After that taste for salt, adding more if needed. I also like to season this soup with a great big squeeze or lemon or lime juice. Serve topped with whatever you have on hand - I made it this time around with grated hard-boiled egg, herbs, crackers, and a touch of crème fraiche, but you could just sprinkle a few chopped peanuts on top and call it a day.
- Serves 4.
- Prep time: 10 min - Cook time: 15 min
1 small red onion, chopped
1/2 pound new potatoes, tiny cubes
1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch segments
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt, or to taste
1 1/4 cups of water, or to cover
1 lemon or lime
How do you like your asparagus? Shout it out in your comments below. Link your latest post as well. We are blogger-friendly around here! And, if you like these posts, don’t forget to sign up today!
Tip Jar: Collect your parmesan cheese rinds in a plastic baggie in the freezer. As you are making soup throw in a hunk. As it melts it gives a nice salty depth that only parmigiano reggiano can do!
SIGN UP TODAY for the MINI-MARRIAGE CHALLENGE
Register for a FREE 5-Day Mini-Marriage Workshop. It's packed full of great lessons, encouragement, activities and printables to give you a happy marriage!