Please note: This post contains affiliate links.
I am a sucker for trying to find ways to feed my family healthy, non-processed foods. I am always drawn to CSA’s, Farmer’s Markets, gardens and have even considered going in with my friends to purchase 1/2 a cow. 🙂 (Actually, my farmer dad has always done this, so it doesn’t sound too weird to me! :))
I stumbled onto a site, ZAYCON FRESH, that offers bulk meat (but not as bulk as 1/2 a cow!), that is generally fresh not frozen, and comes directly from the farm for less than you would spend on meat at Wal-Mart or Aldi. I was intrigued and decided to try it out this past spring.
The details: I ordered 40 lbs (you must buy in bulk) of boneless, skinless chicken breasts for $1.67/ pound. Wow, great price! (The cheapest I have found at ALDI is a special of $1.89/lb.) I was hoping I would love it because the price was increds!
My unfiltered review:
- GREAT GREAT quality. The chicken breasts are enormous. I know that sentence sounds like the beginning to a bad joke, but I am totally serious. They are triple the size of chicken breasts that I purchase in the store. And, they are so delicious.
- FRESH, NOT FROZEN. Not all the meats come fresh, but the chicken does. It cuts out waiting times and delivers the meat in bulk boxes directly from the farm.
- GREAT PRICES. They cut out all the waiting times and middle-men and can offer farm-to-table quality at bulk prices.
- NO-WASTE PACKAGING. The chicken came in a nice, heavy-duty box. Inside, all the chicken breasts were in one large plastic bag. (No styrofoam trays or individual packaging.)
COULD BE AN ISSUE FOR YOU:
- YOU ARE PURCHASING IN BULK. You will need an extra freezer to store your meat. The 40 lbs. of chicken fit nicely into my normal freezer & a small student-sized freezer.
- THE UPFRONT COST. The cost is a little tough if you are on a week-to-week budget. If you have money in savings, you will save money over the long run.
- YOU PACKAGE INDIVIDUALLY. You will just need a bunch of gallon-sized freezer bags on hand. Do not freeze in the large bag, because they are not packaged individually.
THIS IS WHAT YOU DO:
- Order on the Zaycon website.
- I choose SHOP BY LOCATION, because I like to pick it up at the same place each time. No room for confusion and missing an order!
- Then, you scroll through the meat choices that are being delivered. I ordered one meat to be delivered each month for several months. But, you can easily try out just one meat to decide if you like it.
- On the pickup day, go to the location that you chose to pick up your meat. (They always send reminder emails as well!)
- Go at the exact time of pickup. They will generally not get there early or stay late. It will be hauled in a refrigerated truck. The driver loaded the box in my car and I was off! EASY!
- Go home and package up your meat in freezer bags, label and freeze.
- Enjoy for months!
Here is an email reminder that I received this morning.
We’ve been eating it all summer – on the grill, in the crock pot and in the oven. It’s fantastic!
I ordered the premium bacon – it’s only $3.79/lb (I currently spend $5.99 on my favorite bacon at Aldi. Huge savings!)
Zaycon offers seafood, steaks, pork, chicken, even all-beef hot dogs. You seriously won’t find better quality anywhere. I hope you give it a try!
WANT TO ORDER FROM ZAYCON? Click on this affiliate link, if you are interested. It won’t cost you anything. Thank you! Please share about this amazing company with your friends or on social media! They will love you for it!
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.