Fall! It’s the best food season of all and the quintessential dish is apple crisp. I like to serve it warm with a cold dollop of Greek yogurt. Apple crisp is so versatile, you can serve it anytime! It’s great at breakfast, lunch, dinner or as a snack. It pairs endlessly with choices like wine, cheddar cheese, squash, maple syrup, ice cream, yogurt, on and on. This is pretty healthy recipe with a small amount of bitter and sugar, and I sneak in any number of different seeds. Yum!
- Dry ingredients:
- 1 C of organic quick oats
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 1 t each of chia and hemp seeds
- 3 T unsalted butter
- 2 t coconut oil
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 t vanilla
- Wet ingredients:
- 1 c frozen cranberries
- 3 apples, cored leaving peels on, cut its to 1/2 inch thick slices
- 1 c walnut or pistachios, chopped
- 1 juice of one whole lemon
- Grate whole nutmeg and cinnamon (don't use too much nutmeg as it grinds much easier than cinnamon so it's easy to use too much and too much isn't a pleasant flavor)
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 spring of thyme
- Preheat your oven to 350. Butter a 9x9 baking pan.
- Stir together dry ingredients: oats, brown sugar, chia and hemp seeds, butter, coconut oil, salt, vanilla.
- Stir together wet ingredients: cranberries, apples, walnut or pistachios, lemon juice, nutmeg and cinnamon, salt, thyme.
- Apples and thyme are a match made in heaven!
- Mix wet and dry ingredients together and place into a buttered 9x9 ceramic baking dish
- Bake for 40 minutes on 350.
Tip Jar: this is my favorite squash, the Delicata. While baking the apple crisp, throw a small Delicata Squash, whole, on a rack in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the squash is soft. Remove seeds and stem. You can eat the skin if it’s freshly picked (thanks Michelle!). Pair it with the apple crisp. OMG is this delicious!
SIGN UP TODAY for the MINI-MARRIAGE CHALLENGE
Register for a FREE 5-Day Mini-Marriage Workshop. It's packed full of great lessons, encouragement, activities and printables to give you a happy marriage!