This past week in Minnesota, the windchill has been from -20 to -40 degrees below zero. Insane! When it is so cold outside, I love to have a nice comforting bread to eat with my eggs in the morning. This Carrot Walnut Bread is delicious and healthy. But, if your family is like mine, it can’t taste “healthy.” 😉 This one doesn’t, just comforting! Like you just curled up on the couch in your favorite cozy jammies & played hooky from life. 🙂 When it’s this cold outside, I can’t take the thought of downing another icy smoothie. Make this, your family will love you for it!
This carrot walnut bread is super soft and moist inside, meanwhile coating the pan in olive oil makes the crust nice and crispy. Perfection!
- 1 c vegetable oil, or an oil with a neutral flavor
- 1 1/4 c organic white flour
- 1 1/2 t baking powder
- 1 1/2 r ground cinnamon
- 1/2 c raisins
- 1/2 c chopped walnuts
- 3 eggs
- 1 c organic sugar
- 2 t vanilla
- 2 c shredded carrots
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly oil and flour a 9x5 loaf pan
- Whisk baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and 1 1/2 c flour in a small bowl
- Toss raisins, walnuts and 1 T flour in a different small bowl
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat eggs and sugar in a medium bowl until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. With mixer running slowly add the oil, then add vanilla. Fold in dry ingredients, then add in raisin mixture, and carrots, scrape batter into pan.
- Bake cake 65-75 minutes until knife in the middle comes out clean. Set to on cool a bit on a rack then turn out and let cool completely.
- Recipe from Bon Appetite Magazine featuring recipe from Breads Bakery in NYC
Tip Jar: When an oil is called for in a recipe make sure you know how it will effect the taste. In the recipe above, it calls for vegetable oil, which I did not have on hand. Instead, I used 1/2 c grapeseed oil and 1/2 c of olive oil. It effected the flavor, but not in a negative way, which it sometimes can.
Looking for other healthy recipes? Check these out!
- Healthy Blueberry Muffins your family will devour! (with Vegan + Gluten-Free alternatives)
- A Healthy Cheese Dip using this one secret ingredient
- Healthy Seed Bars
SIGN UP TODAY for the MINI-MARRIAGE CHALLENGE
Register for a FREE 5-Day Mini-Marriage Workshop. It's packed full of great lessons, encouragement, activities and printables to give you a happy marriage!