If you have been reading this blog for any time at all, you will have learned that we are pretty passionate about budgeting. That’s why we are offering this beautiful Cash Budget System Giveaway, to encourage you on your journey to financial freedom!
I’ve learned budgeting doesn’t have to be a dirty word! I am a reformed “over-spending, non-account balancing, non-saving, hiding my purchases in the closet” money person. But, I have come to see the beauty of living by a budget. When my husband and I finally sat down and talked about our financial goals, they were suprisingly similar. The way we thought about money was just totally different.
These were our two extremes:
- HIM: Don’t spend any money. Ever.
- HER: Spend all your money. All the time. 😉
So, how did we bridge that difficult gap? By meeting in the middle. He realized his way wasn’t sustainable or realistic for a family. I realized my way wasn’t filling my need for meeting long-term goals such as vacations, home renovations, savings, etc. We both needed to give a little.
When people think “budget,” they assume you mean you don’t spend any money. That’s not true at all. It actually means you have a pre-determined amount to spend on every area of your life. That way, you can afford to maintain yourself, your home and your family while looking ahead and planning for the future.
THIS IS WHAT OUR MONTHLY BUDGET LOOKS LIKE:
- All bills & utilities
- Monthly cash budget for living (such as groceries, eating out, clothing, as well as our spending money)
- Monthly short-term savings (such as vacations, gifts, etc.)
- Long-term savings (goes into savings account – this is our emergency fund, savings for car fund)
Note what we do not have on here: DEBT
This was a long and hard battle, but we paid off all of our debt (with the exception of our home) when we went through Dave Ramsey’s Total Money Makeover. We committed to living within our budget, not deciding what we want and then living like that. It’s a totally different mindset. No, we don’t always get to purchase things that we want…but, don’t we always want something? I have found there is no end to my wanting, so putting ourselves in financial hardship by trying to meet that elusive desire is ridiculous.
WANT TO LEARN MORE ABOUT BUDGETING?
- If you would like to learn more about building a budget, click here.
- If you would like some free printables for tracking your monthly budget, click here.
- Do you feel overwhelmed by debt? Read this inspiring story by my niece, who with her husband, paid off $40,000 of debt in under 2 years! (p.s. they work normal jobs just like you and me!)
Learn more about budgeting by reading this awesome Dave Ramsey book, Total Money Makeover.
CASH BUDGET SYSTEM GIVEAWAY + $25 STARBUCKS GIFTCARD! ENTER HERE!
I hope you win this Cash Budget System giveaway & take your journey towards financial freedom! Good luck!
This post includes affiliate links, please read more about disclosures here.
SIGN UP TODAY for the MINI-MARRIAGE CHALLENGE
Register for a FREE 5-Day Mini-Marriage Workshop. It's packed full of great lessons, encouragement, activities and printables to give you a happy marriage!