We have a delicious/crazy/diet-killing tradition every Saturday morning to make the most sinfully-delicious homemade breakfasts…entire family in the kitchen, music pumping, cooking, singing, dancing. It’s a party! The rest of the week, our breakfasts are simple and generally pretty healthy. But, on Saturday, the wheels come off and we celebrate. (or, like our family says, “We are practicing for heaven.”) 🙂
A few weeks ago, we were digging through some old magazines looking for Christmas cookies when we came across this devilish
dessert breakfast recipe. My daughter and I were instantly sold. Chocolate Waffles. Oh, my. Our family loves waffles. And, I’m not talking Eggo’s. I’m talking homemade, fluffy inside with crispy edges…the kind that cradle the maple syrup like a…a… cradle. I guess I ran out of adjectives! Suffice it to say, our waffles our the bomb. Now, we were ready to take it to another level.
Maybe you are wondering why the title says, “why you need to make them now?” When we made them, they were so yummy and so filling plus we had a ton left over. I had no idea what we would do with them all! So, we got creative and used them in all sorts of ways.
Here are some great uses for your Chocolate Waffles:
- We warmed them up for quick breakfasts.
- In the kid’s lunches slathered with peanut butter. I used one waffle, cut in half.
- In place of a brownie for dessert, warmed, then topped with ice cream & hot fudge. Yes & yes!
Here’s the recipe. Feel free to print or save to your Yummly account.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. espresso powder
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups buttermilk (or regular milk with a splash of white vinegar)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 6 oz. bittersweet chocolate (70% cocoa recommended), finely chopped
- Unsalted butter
- Maple Syrup (use the real stuff, these waffles deserve it! :))
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Whisk flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt & espresso powder in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center and add egg yolks, buttermilk, oil and vanilla.
- Blend wet ingredients with a fork, then gradually incorporate dry ingredients, mixing just until combined.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Add half the egg whites and gently fold into the batter.
- Add the 2nd half of the egg whites and fold gently in the batter until just combined.
- Fold in the bittersweet chocolate.
- Heat waffle iron until very hot. Spray with cooking spray.
- Working in batches, cook the waffles until cooked through.
- Keep them on a rack, set in a baking pan covered with aluminum foil in the warm oven.
- Once complete, serve with butter & maple syrup.
- Recipe adapted from BonAppetit
Do you have any more ideas on how to use these Chocolate Waffles? Leave a comment below, I would love to hear what you would make!
SIGN UP TODAY for the MINI-MARRIAGE CHALLENGE
Register for a FREE 5-Day Mini-Marriage Workshop. It's packed full of great lessons, encouragement, activities and printables to give you a happy marriage!