This coffee-cake was made in a mad dash this morning. I realized halfway through my devotions that I needed (haha) to make a coffee cake this morning for breakfast. It was such a mad dash, I had nothing unthawed, such as the cranberries. I was pouring the batter in the cast-iron pan over the cranberries, when I nabbed a snicket of the batter. Yucccckkkkggggg!!! Drat! Forgot the sugar. The dilemma, take everything out and remix properly? Nah! So, I just poured the sugar on top and mixed the cranberries and batter and sugar together. I would never do that on purpose, but, this coffee-cake turned out so yummy, I’m wondering if I’m on to something! 😉
Cranberry-Cinnamon Coffee Cake
Adapted from: The Kitchy Kitchen
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
8 Tbs. butter (one stick)
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
2 cups sour cream, divided
2 tsp. vanilla
Orange zest from one orange
1 1/2 cups frozen (or fresh) cranberries
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup oatmeal
1 Tbs. cinnamon
2 Tbs. butter, diced small
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients.
4. Soften, don’t melt, butter. Mix the butter, eggs, sugar, 1 cup of sour cream, and vanilla. Add the orange zest and stir.
5. If using cast iron pan (highly recommended!), slather the butter left on the butter wrapper and then pop the pan into the oven to heat up. This makes a nice crunchy crust on the outside. Delish!
6. Make the streusel topping.
7. Mix your cranberries into the dry ingredients. Then pour your wet ingredients into the dry and stir with a wooden spoon. The mixture will be very thick!
7. Take the hot pan out of the oven. Plop your batter into the pan, smooth it out.
8. Use the rest of your sour cream and smooth it over the top of the batter. (Or, if you have small kids, just over the adults half!)
9. Drizzle the crumbly streusel over the sour cream.
10. Bake for 35 minutes on 400 degrees.
If it isn’t gone in one sitting, leave it uncovered, it will stay crunchy on the outside. But make sure to hide the forks! 😉
SIGN UP TODAY for the MINI-MARRIAGE CHALLENGE
Register for a FREE 5-Day Mini-Marriage Workshop. It's packed full of great lessons, encouragement, activities and printables to give you a happy marriage!