I feel like I am always struggling with what to cook for dinner. Why is it so hard to get a simple meal on the table…every single night? I must not be the only one who feels this way, because companies are popping up everywhere that that send you all the ingredients and the recipes to make your own meals at home. Why pay when there is an easy system? You will have a plan & the right ingredients to make your easy home-cooked meals just by doing a few simple things. But, first…
Here’s a few ways I’ve tried and failed at making delicious, home-cooked meals:
- I’ve tried making a default weekly menu and a shopping list for this one-week menu. Boring!
- I’ve tried coming up with a monthly meal plan…too overwhelming and too much to shop for.
- And a freezer meal plan, eeeehhh…not super happy with those results.
- I’ve gone to the store and randomly bought whatever looked good. Ok, I’ve done that more than I care to admit! I end up wasting half of the food I purchase, and not having the ingredients I need for something I would actually like to make.
YOU, TOO? Good! I thought it was only me! 🙂
This year, one of my New Year’s Resolutions was to add greater variety to our menu. And, I happened onto an awesome system. One month in and it is going great! My kids are devouring good home-cooked meals with the bonus that it has been super easy for me to manage. I’m actually spending LESS at the grocery store. And the meals? They’ve been delicious! WIN-WIN-WIN-WIN….all I do is win.
Here’s my super-simple system for easy home-cooked meals:
I almost hate to share it because it seems too simple. But, if it has eluded me for this long, maybe it has you, too!
p.s. I have found when I simply search on Pinterest for recipes, too many of them don’t work! & I love ya Food52, you’re cool, but my family will never eat your meals! I prefer to use sites like; Pioneer Woman (of course!), Bakerella, Happy Money Saver, etc… Our newest favorite is: Cafe Delights! Our family has really enjoyed her recipes. The great thing about Cafe Delights is that she does a Weekly Dinner Menu. So, you can simply click on her menu and choose the recipes that look good to you.
- CAFE DELIGHTS – search for WEEKLY MENU in the search field. Click on a weekly menu.
- Scroll down to click on each recipe. Print or save.
- Write down your dinners in planner/or printable.
- Go through the list of ingredients for each recipe, adding necessary ingredients to your shopping list. (I use OurGroceries app – love it!)
- Only purchase what is needed for this week’s menu.
- Post all the recipes where you can easily find them.
- In the morning, pull out the recipe for that night, begin any prep that needs to happen (i.e. crock-pot cooking the meat, etc…)
- If you love it, add it to your regular repertoire.
Some of our favorite recipes so far have been:
- Mongolian Meatballs – YUM!
- Real-deal Baked Macaroni & Cheese
- Apple Dijon Salad (so yummy! the dressing is PERFECT.)
- Mexican Corn Chowder Soup
- French Dip Sliders
- Crock Pot Sloppy Joes
- Chili Lime Steak Fajitas
- Beef Noodle Stir-Fry
- Rueben Grilled Sandwiches
- Pizza Stuffed Bread
I hope this helps you easily get your home-cooked dinners on the table! Enjoy!
SIGN UP TODAY for the MINI-MARRIAGE CHALLENGE
Register for a FREE 5-Day Mini-Marriage Workshop. It's packed full of great lessons, encouragement, activities and printables to give you a happy marriage!