PRINTABLE RECIPE BELOW:
Repeat after me: I will never buy another tasteless, prepackaged piecrust again. 😉 (even if you are tempted, your family won’t let you.) There is nothing easier than making your own crust and NOTHING more delicious. I could eat it without any filling, it’s that yumilicious.
- You can make a normal ol’ pie, which is awesome! Here is a link to a Mulberry pie that is… beyond.
- Or, you can make berry hand-pies. (Fun to send in lunch boxes!)
- Or, savory hand-pies. Just let your imagination (& your pantry) be your guide.
Here is the easiest pie crust recipe ever. No cutting in butter. No kneading. Just let your food processor do all the work. This recipe is for a double pie crust. I make this even when I’m not using the other half. I just pop it into a freezer bag, then into the freezer and use it later.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbs granulated sugar
- 11 Tbs unsalted butter, cold, cubed
- 7 Tbs butter-flavored shortening (chilled preferably)
- 4-5 Tbs cold water
- Put flour, salt, sugar - all dry ingredients into the food processor and pulse 5 or 6 times.
- Cube your butter and put it into the food processor. Break up all the big chunks and toss around in the flour.
- Measure out your butter-flavored shortening and place into the food processor.
- Process until it looks dry and almost like cornmeal. Like this.
- Then, add the cold water, stopping when the dough comes together. When it comes together, it should look like this.
- Take it out, divide the dough in half, and place it on the floured, plastic wrap. Wrap each piece into a disk like this. Refrigerate for one-half an hour.
- Recipe adapted from Cooks Illustrated.
Roll out and enjoy!
TIP: When you are using this crust to bake a juicy pie, I recommend putting your pie pan in the oven while the oven is pre-heating. When you put the crust into the hot pan, it will cook faster and you will be less likely to have a dough-y bottom crust. 🙂
SIGN UP TODAY for the MINI-MARRIAGE CHALLENGE
Register for a FREE 5-Day Mini-Marriage Workshop. It's packed full of great lessons, encouragement, activities and printables to give you a happy marriage!