I have an obsession with yogurt. I love its tanginess, creaminess and versatility. But, not everyone loves it. (crazy, right?) Your kid’s might think they hate it! But, just wait. Before you throw in the towel, here are 5 sneaky ways to get healthy, protein-packed, greek yogurt into your families’ meals. Prepare to be amazed when your family gobbles it up!
5 Ways to Sneak in Greek Yogurt:
- Use it in place of cream cheese, sour cream or mayonnaise in baking. Instead of adding sour cream to your chocolate cake mix, put in greek yogurt instead. It gives you the richness and tang, but with protein instead of all those empty fats!
- Use it as the base for a chip or veggie dip. I mix up a bowl of yogurt and hot sauce. It’s light, creamy and deliciously guilt-free.
- Use it in a beautiful parfait breakfast. My favorite is to toast seeds or nuts (sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, walnuts, etc) serve with berries or pomegranate seeds and top with balsamic vinegar or honey.
- Use it in place of cream cheese, sour cream or mayonnaise in cooking. Drizzle on tacos instead of sour cream or mix yogurt + avocado and make a delicious a tuna salad.
- Use it in a salad dressing. Whole Foods has some delicious pre-made yogurt-based dressings that I love. They are low cal and delicious!
Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
This dressing is so versatile. Use it on your hot wings and your veggies for the upcoming Super Bowl Sunday! (Recipe compliments of Bon Appetit)
SERVINGS: MAKES 1½ CUPS
- ¾ cup whole-milk plain Greek yogurt
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- Kosher salt
- Whisk yogurt, buttermilk, mayonnaise, chives, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, pepper, mustard powder, and onion powder in a medium bowl; season with salt. Chill at least 20 minutes to let flavors meld before serving.
- Do Ahead: Dressing can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and keep chilled.
- Recipe by Andy Baraghani
Tip Jar: Eat This, Not That is one of my favorite websites to keep me on track with choosing the better products and restaurant dishes. This one shows which greek yogurts you should be eating and the ones you shouldn’t, for weight loss.
Here are the three “greek” yogurts you shouldn’t eat!
- Dannon Activa Greek Vanilla (more sugar than in a Dunkin’ Doughnut!)
- Greek Gods Greek Yogurt (more sugar than protein)
- Yoplait Greek Vanilla (not authentic Greek Yogurt + more sugar than protein)
SIGN UP TODAY for the MINI-MARRIAGE CHALLENGE
Register for a FREE 5-Day Mini-Marriage Workshop. It's packed full of great lessons, encouragement, activities and printables to give you a happy marriage!