When planning a Super Bowl party this year, I really wanted a healthy cheese dip and boy I found a good one! I adapted the recipe idea from Daphne Oz, which she made on the Chew. It does, in fact, have cheese that oozes and pleases as only cheese can. But, there are a few tricks, which save a ton of fat and calories that no one will notice.
The fat saving tricks include using ground turkey instead of beef and substituting butternut squash for some of the cheese. Amazingly, the butternut squash (in my case, I had a pound of pumpkin in the freezer) takes on the flavor of the cheese.
Serve it with tortilla chips. Additionally, it was delicious eaten on chunks of celery, which cut through the heaviness of the dish and made it an even healthier snack. I was eating leftovers for a couple days and I can attest, it was even better on days 2, 3 and 4!
- 1/2 pound of ground turkey
- 1/2 onion or a large shallot
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 t ground cumin
- 1 t dried oregano
- 2 chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1 pound butter nut squash (or pumpkin), cubed and microwaved until soft
- 1 14 oz can of fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/4 c chopped jalapeño
- 1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese
- Sauté ground turkey in a large skillet until browned add chopped onions, chopped garlic, cumin, oregano, chipotles, salt and pepper
- Microwave the butternut squash and in a blender purée with 1/4 cup of water
- Add butternut squash, tomatoes and jalapeños to sauté pan to combine
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheese
- Preheat oven to broil
- Place cheese dip into oven safe casserole and place u dear broiler until nice and browned on top
- Serve with lime wedges, cilantro, chips and celery
- Recipe adapted from Daphne Oz on The Chew!
Tip Jar: prepare the day before and place under broiler to reheat. Stirring all the cheese into the dish makes it easier to dip with a chip or celery stick. Only 150 calories per serving!
SIGN UP TODAY for the MINI-MARRIAGE CHALLENGE
Register for a FREE 5-Day Mini-Marriage Workshop. It's packed full of great lessons, encouragement, activities and printables to give you a happy marriage!