We have all heard that seeds are good for you, but how in the world to incorporate them into your life? At this moment, I have bundles of seeds, wasting away in my pantry because I get all excited at Trader Joe’s to get healthy and eat more seeds. Then, I get home and think, now what am I going to do with ten tons of flax seed? Well, whip out your seeds, have I got a great recipe for you! This is a fantastic savory/sweet vegetarian snack and it really packs a punch! These healthy seed bars are awesome for a pre/post workout and also easily packs in your kids/your lunch. This recipe is based on a recipe by Bon Appetit.
Between all of the seeds contained in these bars you will get Omega-3, fiber, protein, magnesium, Vitamin B, phosphorus, calcium, fatty acids and on and on. Much better than the empty calories of a chocolate chip cookie. And p.s., in this recipe, you still get the chocolate chips! yay!
- 1 1/4 cup of any combination of flax, chia, sesame and hemp seeds. (grind the flax seeds!)
- 1/4 cup of mini chocolate chips
- 4 T almond or peanut butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter an 8x8 ceramic or glass dish lined with parchment paper, hanging over the edges.
- Grind up flax seeds. Then, add hemp, chia and sesame seeds. Total seeds should equal 1 1/4 cup. Add mini chocolate chips.
- Mix together the almond/peanut butter, honey, coconut, vanilla, and salt in a small bowl. Then add to the seed mixture. Slowly add coconut oil until everything is moist and all seeds are incorporated.
- Pour into pan and flatten with your hand into the corners. Cook until browned and crunchy on all sides. Put on a rack to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove and cut into bars. Make sure to serve with toothpicks handy. The seeds may or may not get caught in your teeth. Don't say I didn't warn you!
SIGN UP TODAY for the MINI-MARRIAGE CHALLENGE
Register for a FREE 5-Day Mini-Marriage Workshop. It's packed full of great lessons, encouragement, activities and printables to give you a happy marriage!