So, this is my quandary. I don’t like my kid’s new friend.
Have you been there before? Don’t get me wrong, it’s not about personality or likability, either. Honestly, we have kids over ALL THE TIME, they don’t have to be perfect little angels for me to like them. I love them all, they all have their own unique qualities that endear them to me. And this latest friend, I don’t dislike her, for HER, I dislike her friendship to my kids. She is a neighbor and summer break is coming soon. So what do I do?
What does the Bible say about this relationship?
Don’t hang out with angry people; don’t keep company with hotheads. Bad temper is contagious – don’t get infected.
Become wise by walking with the wise; hang out with fools and watch your life fall to pieces.
Fools are headstrong and do what they like; wise people take advice.
- Balance – She will not be the friend they spend the majority of time with.
- Encourage complete honesty.
- Explain why you are uncomfortable with the friendship.
- Be reasonable and calm.
- Don’t shut down the conversation by being judgmental, not listening, or being unreasonable.
- She is allowed to come over for 1 hour a couple times a week.
- We must be physically there at all times. (No going inside, if we are outside, and vise verse.)
- They must ask before inviting her over.
|Lord, help me balance my responsibility to these two precious gifts,
with my responsibility to be a light to this world.
God bless, if you are in this situation, I hope this helps you. I understand there are many variations to this problem, the child’s age, if they are friends at school, or if they are your friend’s/families child, etc…all these can throw some major clunkers into the situation. But, I would encourage you to be prayerful, ask God to give you wisdom in the situation, to learn to love the difficult person, and to continue the conversation with your child.
SIGN UP TODAY for the MINI-MARRIAGE CHALLENGE
Register for a FREE 5-Day Mini-Marriage Workshop. It's packed full of great lessons, encouragement, activities and printables to give you a happy marriage!