We love soft giant pretzels, but since we never go to the mall, we never have them. We learned how to make these at home and they couldn’t be more delicious or easy. Love ya, Auntie Annie, they take so little time to make, I will never pay for them again! There is no end to what you could do with this awesome recipe. Enjoy!
- Slather them in butter and sea salt. Classic and delicious. Dip in garlic butter.
- Dip them in butter and then sprinkle liberally with cinnamon and sugar. Dip them into cream cheese mixture.
- Fill them with meat & cheese (pepperoni, salami, provolone… whatever floats your boat!) and send them in your kids’ lunchbox. Yum! (They could dip them in marinara sauce.)
- Wrap them around a hot dog.
- Stuff them with cheese and garlic.
- Stuff them with Nutella. Oh my!
- PRETZEL DOUGH:
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast (or one package)
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 Tbs unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups all purpose flour (up to 3/4 cup more, if necessary)
- Coarse salt, for sprinkling (after soaked in the soda water)
- SODA WATER:
- 2 cups water
- 4 Tbs baking soda
- AFTER PRETZELS ARE BAKED:
- 6 Tbs salted butter, melted
- Take 1 cup of warm (not hot) water, sprinkle the yeast and sugar on top. Set kitchen timer for 5 minutes to allow yeast to activate.
- Preheat oven to 475. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Melt the 1 Tbs butter.
- Once timer goes off, add the melted butter and salt to mixture. Wisk until incorporated.
- Add three cups of flour. This dough is firm, so if you have a mixer with a dough hook, use it. Mix until the dough is coming together. Knead the dough for 5 minutes and the dough bounces back with you make a thumbprint in it.
- Put the dough into a bowl that has been drizzled with olive oil. Turn over and cover with a towel. Allow to rest in a draft-free place in the kitchen for 15 minutes.
- Make the soda water mixture in a flat 9 inch round.
- The dough will not raise much.
- Take the dough out and flatten to about 3/4 inch round.
- Cut the dough into 8 "pizza slices."
- Begin rolling your dough into a thin "snake." It should be about 20" inches long.
- Starting in the middle of your dough, make the middle the bottom of a heart shape with length at the top to twist and connect to the bottom of the heart.
- Place the pretzel into the soda water and let it soak for 2 minutes. (make sure it is entirely covered in the water or spoon some on top!)
- Place on prepared pan.
- Liberally salt with the coarse salt.
- Bake for 8 minutes (or until the pretzels are dark, golden brown and baked all the way through.)
- Immediately brush them with the melted butter, being careful not to knock all the salt off!
SIGN UP TODAY for the MINI-MARRIAGE CHALLENGE
Register for a FREE 5-Day Mini-Marriage Workshop. It's packed full of great lessons, encouragement, activities and printables to give you a happy marriage!