I am going to admit a few things about myself:
#1 – I hate to run.
#2 – I love chocolate chip cookies.
#3 – Everything I really enjoy doing involves sitting, well, except for cooking. 🙂
#4 – Did I mention I hate to run??
I have been active in different sports throughout my life, but running? Not if I could help it. For one thing, it seemed so pointless and boring! But, in the last year, my church has begun a running club for a group of us (what was I thinking!!??) who would run Chicago’s 1/2 or full marathon.
The reason we are running is to raise funds for a community center in Ethiopia. The community center will be an orphanage as well as a school during the day, a safe place where the poor children in the village can receive food, medicine, education and mentoring. What an awesome reason to run, right? (I will be posting more on this later and will link the story with this page). Ok, so now I have the motivation…but, how to go about it?
These are a few important things that helped me along the way:
1. Learn from someone who is passionate about running and learn everything you can from them! My guru is Karla, she has taught me everything from the importance of the right shoes and socks, to training, staying motivated, and conquering everything that might stand in your way.
|I am on the left and Karla…Miss AMAZING, has run numerous marathons, through injuries, no matter the obstacle, she is going to persevere! What an awesome person to have by your side!|
2. Partner with a friend that will hold you accountable – my running partner (my sister) is located states away, but we are training on the same schedule, we share our run times, and keep each other honest. We are running the 1/2 marathon this July together, in Chicago!
3. Have a running buddy – mine is my hubby, we try to run together as much as possible. He is a foot taller than me, so it works better for us to train on the treadmill together. That way, I don’t affect his speed or his run time.
4. You have to get the right shoes otherwise, you may end up with an injury. Go to a running store and have them do an analysis on your running gate. Then, try on various shoes. You will pick the shoe you “feel” the least. (p.s. NOT the one that feels the most “supportive”)
5. Begin training far in advance. Yes, you can train for a 1/2 marathon in 13 weeks, but the longer you train, the easier it will be for you. I have been training, going on 6 months now. (remember, slow and steady wins the race!! 🙂
|This is Eric, myself and Karla after finishing our first run for TEAM ETHIOPIA (more members were unable to attend this run). And, my two kids, Israel & Bella after completing their Zippity Zoo Run!|
6. Enter a race before “the big one”. I was awake almost all night, the night before from NERVES. I didn’t know if I could do it. I didn’t know if running outside would totally throw me off. I didn’t know if I could find my pace without the treadmill and with tons of people alongside me. Actually, the race was WAY more fun than I imagined…there are people cheering you on the whole way (where were they at the gym?? I totally could have used them there! But, I guess that would have been awkward. 🙂
The BEST surprise result of running so far:
Making running a part of our lifestyle has also influenced our kids. They also ran their first first run! It was a kiddie 1/2 mile run. I really tried to discourage my youngest because I thought it would be too much for her, but she did it! Both of my kids were so motivated to run and that was the best surprise for me. But, what you do, your kids will follow…if you want them to be healthy, you’ve got to model it!
YOU HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE:
(and you don’t even have to run!)
If you would like to make a one-time, online donation to TEAM ETHIOPIA http://thelifeonline.tv/, click on the GIVE link.
100% of the funds raised will go towards the building of the community center. The administrative costs are being underwritten by The Life Church, Lisle, IL.
“Like” – facebook.com/TEAM-ETHIOPIA – follow our progress, all the way to the FINISH LINE!!
Keep running, Kristen
SIGN UP TODAY for the MINI-MARRIAGE CHALLENGE
Register for a FREE 5-Day Mini-Marriage Workshop. It's packed full of great lessons, encouragement, activities and printables to give you a happy marriage!