It’s not smart to stuff yourself with sweets,
I have a friend that is extremely beautiful, just had a baby three months ago and is frustrated that she has an eensy bit of baby weight. (pul-eese!! 🙂 Well, here I am…five, yes, FIVE years later…still working to get it off! That’s embarrassing! The first nine months I thought, “It took nine months to come on, it will take nine to come off.” (Yes, that would be me… procrastinating…)
There is such a perfect storm about having baby weight. Sleep deprivation, brings eating of sugar to try to get some energy, which results in less energy as your sugar levels take a nose dive…it’s an atrocious cycle to be on! Then, the house gets out of control and our kids take all of our time and energy and focus. So, how in the world, can we get focused on getting ourselves back under control?
Let me clear up the LACK of ENERGY excuse we always use – We think we only have a certain amount of energy. Actually, energy grows as you use it up! (kinda like giving, I think)
- (If you need some simple steps in getting started with getting your house under control, I cannot recommend enough the Fly Lady – Your personal online housekeeping coach). She’s a wonderful, former “messy”, that gives you baby steps to getting your home back under control.
So, in the past couple years I have begun exercising faithfully. I used to jog and the first song that I would listen to…don’t laugh…was “Lose Yourself” by Eminem. Love these lyrics:
To seize everything you ever wanted in one moment
You own it, you better never let it go
The following quote is so good…if you are struggling with self-control in any area of your life, whether it be eating, exercising, attitude, time or financial budgeting…this applies. Write it down where you can see it every day.
So, if you are motivate and really want to make a change about the weight (it doesn’t matter if you can blame it on a baby or not!)…it’s really all about self-control, right?
WHAT IS THE FIRST STEP?
Do something that you enjoy to “get moving”.
I highly recommend joining a gym.
- But, there are many options; You can join a sports league of a sport that you enjoy, join a hiking or biking group, just do a simple google search and you are sure to find a group in your area that would fit your needs.
- One caution…please do not go out and purchase a treadmill! The reason treadmill’s don’t work is that it gets BORING. To make this a lifestyle, it helps to get outside, go somewhere that is motivating, and get around people that are going to help you stay motivated for the long haul.
MY REQUIREMENTS FOR A GYM:
1. FAMILY FRIENDLY. My gym is not a “meat market”…it is super family-friendly, so I guess most of the singles who are wanting to hook up, go somewhere else. ha!
2. POOLS (inside & out). I want my kids to learn how to swim, and with only 3 warm months in Chicago, that’s not an easy task!
3. VARIETY. I want to get moving, but please, I am not a treadmill lover. Though, I will do some each day…I’ve gotta have something else! They have yoga, zumba, every machine imaginable, weights – which are great for women as we age, pools, basketball, racquetball, rock-climbing walls, etc. My goal this year is to try something new each month. 🙂
4. HOT TUB. (Being seen in a swimsuit, in the dead of winter is an added motivator. lol)
5. GREAT KID’S AREA. It had to be a place that my kids would love to go. (if they fuss about it, it would be an excuse for me NOT to go). They have a gym (with basketball courts, etc – great for my boy), an outside play set, a McDonald’s-like tube-thingy inside, baby areas, Mac’s with educational video games (how cool!), and infant-only areas. Both my kids, who are as different as night and day, absolutely love to go here. And, I love that they are getting exercise, just like me, in the winter!
SOME UNEXPECTED BENEFITS:
I have been able to stick with it and absolutely love it! I have so much energy – it helps me get so much more done around home. The kids love the play area. Israel can doggie-paddle and Bella can put her head under the water (and yes, that is major progress!) And, we are teaching our kids, how to take care of their bodies. It will only help them as they grow.
WHAT THE GYM CANNOT DO:
Unless you can workout for 3 hours a day and have killer genes and are ten-feet tall, like dear Gwyneth Paltrow, you cannot eat anything you want and still look good…the next post, I am going to share some of my weight loss journey (that I am STILL on…but finally, making progress!)
To every mom out there battling low-self esteem, or low energy…it is not worth it to feel poorly about yourself. You can change your tastes and habits. It really does come from surrounding yourself with people that embody traits or characteristics that you desire. This isn’t merely a selfish thing either. When you are confident, it helps you be a better friend, a better mother and a better wife. I hope you will have the courage to make that first step today!
SIGN UP TODAY for the MINI-MARRIAGE CHALLENGE
Register for a FREE 5-Day Mini-Marriage Workshop. It's packed full of great lessons, encouragement, activities and printables to give you a happy marriage!