Last year, I had dreams of making sweet little bento box lunches. A month into school, my kids requested I stop making such exotic lunches (i.e. leftovers! :)) They wanted normal lunches like the rest of their friends. By the end of the school year, the kids we were so burned out on our daily lunch-making routine, they were eating a steady diet of PB&J’s and being bored into monotony. This year, we decided there had to be a better way than the mad dash of lunch prep as they ran out the door!
This is our lunch prep now:
- We make the sandwich or main entree (soup, pizza, etc.) on Sunday night.
- The kids pull out their entree & drink from the freezer.
- They pack the rest of their lunch according to “Momma’s Rules for a Healthy Lunch.”
Last week’s main entree menu consisted of:
- Monday – Rice & Boiled Eggs
- Tuesday – PB & J Sandwiches
- Wednesday – Cold Cut Sandwiches
- Thursday – PB & Honey Sandwiches
- Friday – Chicken & Rice Soup
I know, it’s terribly simple stuff – but, that’s what they like. The sandwiches are labeled for the day and the child, and then put into the freezer for the kids to pull out in the morning.
Momma’s Rules for a Healthy Lunch:
You must take the main entree, plus a fruit and a vegetable. After that, grab what you would like – crackers, trail mix, granola bars, raisins, etc. This way, they are learning to build a balanced meal, without the mess or craziness of making their entire lunch in the morning.
Click here to see this Sunday night cooking routine we use to make our week go more smoothly. It’s nice to have a few things pre-made for busy weeknights. And, we utilize some of these items for the lunches as well.
What do you do to make lunch prep go easier? We would all love to hear your comments!
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.