Summertime yields tons of delicious zucchini, and, like tomatoes, it can take a lot of creativity to use them up as they come pouring in. To be honest, I never knew I loved them until last year when two things happened; first, my CSA was brimming with them forcing me to figure out ways to make them, and secondly, my friend Michelle made a fabulous stuffed zuchinni for our annual girls camping trip. It was so delicious that it has been zuchinni-love ever since! (Here is a pic of my posse on our camping trip – awesome friends!)
There are so many delicious ways to make zuchinni; a simple sauté, wrapped in tin foil or in a basket on the grill, in soup, with pasta, in casseroles (I am from Minnesota, after all!) Add a little butter, oil or wine and salt and pepper, maybe throw in some red pepper flakes. All delicious and so simple!
If you are a vegan, they can be a great substitute for a butter. What??!! Seriously! Just cook them way, way down with a little garlic, adding water or white wine, so they don’t stick. You want them cooked down to a spreadable consistency. It’s amazing!
My favorite way to enjoy zucchini is this soup. This recipe is a riff on The Kitchn blog recipe – so, super big shout out to them! This soup is so creamy and comforting, try it out for supper tonight!
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 8 large garlic cloves, smashed and rested for 10 minutes
- 4 medium Zuchinni, washed and sliced
- 4 c vege broth
- 1 t fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- In a soup pot, sauté onions in olive oil for 20 minutes until soft and sweet. Add garlic and sauté gently for 10 minutes more
- Add Zuchinni and sauté until soft
- Add chopped ginger, vege broth, S&P and simmer for 30 minutes until veges are soft
- Remove from heat, purée until smooth with immersion blender. Add lemon juice, cayenne pepper, S&P to taste
Loving this soup? Here is another great soup with Zucchini and Swiss Chard. Yum!
If you enjoyed this recipe, please share it with your friends! And join our mailing list so you never miss out on another great recipe. 🙂
Join the newsletter
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.