I did not grow up eating eggplant since it is not widely used in Swedish cooking. My best friend Mari is Italian and eats a lot of it! I had a couple in my CSA last week and needed to use them. I saw a cooking show where the chef charred the eggplants to death and it looked so good! So, I decided to make a smoky baba ganoush! And was it delicious? Yes, it was!
- Two whole eggplants + drippings
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/4 c fresh basil
- 1/4 c tahini
- drizzle of olive oil
- finely minced parsley (optional topping)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Take 2 whole eggplants and lay directly on top of the gas burners of your stove. Gently flip until the entire eggplant is charred and dripping. Carefully remove from the stove and place into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes remove to a cutting board and gently pry open the skin. Take a spoon and scrape out the soft flesh. Removing as much of the black skin as possible.
- In a food processor, place flesh of the eggplant and the juice from the bowl, juice of one lemon, fresh basil leaves, tahini and S&P, to taste.
- Place mixture in a bowl, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Top with minced parsley.
- Serve with assorted veggies, olives, and/or crackers.
So easy and fabulous! Serve with sliced carrots, cucumbers and pita chips. Bring as a dish to pass when you are invited to your Italian friends’ home to show them how to use an eggplant. ha!
Tip Jar: Use this same charring technique to add a lot of flavor to many different vegetables. It is easy and fat free! You can char jalepeno, bell peppers, eggplant, and tortillas. Use your imagination!
If you liked this recipe, please check out other healthy, veggie-based recipes here and here. Or here. Or, ooo….this is a good one! Oh, what the heck, why not subscribe so you never miss another great recipe? 🙂 We would love to hear about some of your favorite healthy recipes or…did you receive a CSA shipment and don’t know what to do with the veggies? Let us know and we will whip something up for you.
Happy cooking! And eating…of course!
SIGN UP TODAY for the MINI-MARRIAGE CHALLENGE
Register for a FREE 5-Day Mini-Marriage Workshop. It's packed full of great lessons, encouragement, activities and printables to give you a happy marriage!