Stromboli is one of my family’s favorite meals. It’s comfort food, warm and gooey. The dough has a little crunch and a great chew. It’s full of flavor due to the oil, spices and cheese topping it. The inside is packed full of goodness and is infinitely flexible. You could make a breakfast stromboli with bacon and eggs, or use our favorite…the Italian Pizza Stromboli.
This does take at least an hour to make, but it isn’t all hands-on time. And sometimes, I want to make something that takes more than a half an hour! This is a great meal for a weekend. It’s so satisfying to get into the kitchen and make comfort food that you know your entire family will enjoy. This recipe is so fun to make, that they usually join me in making it.
Don’t be intimidated by making your own dough. Once you learn how to make dough a new life opens up for you. You will be able to make breads, pies, and all sorts of things because you have crossed the new frontier from store-bought pie crusts to homemade deliciousness. And, I’m really not being a store-bought snob, I buy plenty of store-bought stuff (i.e. puff pastry, biscuit dough for doughnuts, etc) But, store-bought pie crust is totally flavorless and it’s just too EASY to make your own! Try the EASIEST pie crust recipe ever and you will be won over to my side. Am I being a little dramatic about dough? Maybe! But, trust me…it’s life-changing. 😉
p.s. Scroll all the way down for the printable recipe! Enjoy!
Probably the hardest thing about making your own dough is learning how to activate the yeast. I purchase a jar of Active Dry Yeast. The balance is having water that is warm enough to activate the yeast, but that won’t burn it because it is too hot. Aim for a bathwater temperature and you should be fine.
In a bowl:
- One cup of warm water (120-130 degrees F)
- 2 1/4 tsp. yeast
- 1 tsp white sugar
Set a timer for 5 minutes. The mixture should be slightly bubby if the yeast has been activated properly.
p.s. Don’t forget to pre-heat your oven to 375 F!
Mix in a mixing bowl:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (if you don’t have it, just add the same amount of all-purpose flour)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsps. Italian Seasoning (optional)
- Wisk & set aside until yeast is activated.
- Stir activated yeast mixture and 2 Tbs. Olive Oil into dry mixture.
- Pour out onto floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (5-6 minutes).
- Shape into a dome shape.
- Spray a mixing bowl with cooking spray, put dough into bowl and then flip it over (allowing both sides to be covered with cooking spray).
- Cover with a towel or plastic wrap for 15 minutes.
- Punch your dough down and divide in two even pieces.
- Roll out each piece of dough into roughly a 13″ x 10″ rectangle.
- Drizzle olive oil or marinara sauce over the dough and spread it around with the back of a large spoon, covering the dough. My example is just using olive oil.
- You can top your stromboli with anything; ham & pineapple, all veggies, or our family-favorite, salami & turkey-pepperoni. Top with your favorite cheese. We use an Italian or mozzarella most of the time.
- I then sprinkle some Italian Seasoning and Coarse salt over everything and start rolling!
- Roll up your beautiful strombolis!
- Pinch the seam together.
- Tuck the ends underneath.
- Place the stromboli seam side down on a parchment-covered baking sheet.
- At this point, you could freeze your second rolled stromboli. Our family of four easily demolishes both.
- Before putting these beauties into our pre-heated oven, top them with the following: a drizzle of olive oil, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and coarse salt. Heaven!
- Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let rest 5 minutes before slicing. I like to angle the slices because it looks purdy!
- Serve with a sauce that compliments your stromboli. I like to use marinara with ours, but a garlic butter would also be yummy.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as our family does! What did you fill yours with? Give a shout out in the comments. I would love to try your variation!
Looking for more delicious comfort-food for your family?
SIGN UP TODAY for the MINI-MARRIAGE CHALLENGE
Register for a FREE 5-Day Mini-Marriage Workshop. It's packed full of great lessons, encouragement, activities and printables to give you a happy marriage!