We are unplugging from cable…and I can’t wait. It’s going to put a LOT more cash back in our coffers each month. This doesn’t mean we won’t be watching TV either. We aren’t that virtuous!
GREAT ALTERNATIVES TO CABLE:
1. Netflix – we pay $9 a month for subscription. We can watch cartoons, movies, and old TV programming. (if you have a wii, you don’t need a Roku box to use Netflix)
2. Roku – We purchased a Roku box for one time purchase of $100 (that’s less than we’ve been paying monthly for cable!). They have Roku boxes starting at $59.
3. Apple TV – AppleTV is the competition for Roku…and since our family is entirely Apple, we wanted to go that route. But, they just don’t have enough programming…sorry Apple! 🙁
4. Computer – yes, there are few things we will have to watch on our computer, but that isn’t so bad! Some NBC shows like “The Apprentice” can be watched directly from the NBC website.
The Roku box offers:
1. Pandora (yeah!)
2. Amazon Video (like iTunes, where you pay for current TV shows, per show)
3. Hulu Plus – free current TV shows
5. NBA Season Pass – for our little basketball enthusiast! $25 per season to watch any NBA game we want to see.
CABLE: $140/month x 12
COST PER YEAR: $1680 per year
DIY TV 🙂 – (click on the links below if you are interested in finding out about these products)
Netflix – 9.99/month
Hulu Plus – 7.99/month HULU
NBA Season pass – $25/year
Roku Box – $100/one time expense ROKU
COST PER FIRST YEAR: 340.88 (next year will be only $240.88)
NET SAVINGS: $1339.12….oh, yeah….that feels much better! It may be a little more inconvenient, but I don’t mind feeling inconvenienced to watch TV. Maybe I will just click it off and READ. I hope this helps…we are trying many more money saving ideas at our house…the ones that work will be posted here.
SIGN UP TODAY for the MINI-MARRIAGE CHALLENGE
Register for a FREE 5-Day Mini-Marriage Workshop. It's packed full of great lessons, encouragement, activities and printables to give you a happy marriage!