Routines to keep your food from going to waste:
When I get home from the grocery store, I do a few things to help me USE up the food I just purchased. There is nothing worse than storing something poorly, then having it go to waste.
As you put away your groceries: (this doesn’t take much more time than simply unloading your bags!)
CLEAN YOUR FRUIT/VEGGIES:
1. Fill the 1/2 sink with water and white vinegar. (One pint to 2 Tbs). I usually just fill the small side of my sink and then do a few good glugs of vinegar. 🙂 Put all your produce in the water/vinegar sink. Rinse and dry. A water and white vinegar mixture cleans off 98% of the chemicals, where water alone takes off a lower percentage. Now you know your produce is clean and ready to use.
STORE YOUR FRUIT/VEGGIES:
2. I put all my items that need moisture – i.e. all leafy greens, herbs, etc in plastic bags with a damp paper towel.
PRE-COOK SOME MEAT:
3. Plug in your crock pot and put a meat in there. You can precook whatever meat that you will be using. Or, brown your hamburger that you will be using later in the week. It will make your cooking that much easier….and when something is easy, you will be more likely to do it!
|Yea, that is not a real freezer!|
|This is my freezer! oops, I think it needs a “spring cleaning” 🙂|
LIST WHAT GOES INTO FREEZER:
4. Everything that you put into the freezer, goes on the list outside the freezer (otherwise, you forget it is in there and it never gets used!) I made a fun little free printable for your freezer – enjoy!
CUT UP VEGGIES FOR LATER MEALS:
5. This is another key to using up all you purchase. If it is easy to make that home cooked meal, you will be less tempted to run through a fast food joint on the way home.
LABEL YOUR STUFF:
6. This is a great/crazy idea that I heard about. I have not done this yet…but, if you find yourself throwing away too much good food, here is a great tip for you. Label everything with the name and the price you paid for it. (sticky notes work just fine!)
If you have any more tips on how to save money after the grocery store, please leave a comment! I hope this series is helping you keep a few more dollars in your pocket this month! God bless, Kristen
SIGN UP TODAY for the MINI-MARRIAGE CHALLENGE
Register for a FREE 5-Day Mini-Marriage Workshop. It's packed full of great lessons, encouragement, activities and printables to give you a happy marriage!