This post is a tough one for me to categorize. What do I put it under?
Money Smart because it is such a super-frugal way to wash your clothes?
DIY because, well…you make it yourself?
Environmentally-friendly because it is chemical-free?
Or, just plain AWESOME because it is all of these?
Let me give you the run-down on why I think making your own laundry detergent is a no-brainer:
- It takes about 5 minutes to make.
- The ingredients cost about $11 (& lasts at least six months. Cost doesn’t include the essential oils.)
- The essential oils!
- It isn’t filled with chemicals. I have enough of that that I can’t get around (Bug Spray, I’m talking to you!)
- It cleans superbly.
I do use a few other cleaners to supplement my home-made detergent:
- Oxygen Cleaner – I add this to the clothes. (Yes, there are DIY Oxygen cleaner recipes. Have not tried them yet.)
- When I am feeling especially lazy, I won’t scrub stains with the bar of Fels-Naptha, instead I use Resolve. Ok, I may do that all the time. 😉
- White Vinegar – I use this in place of fabric softener.
- Dryer Sheets – Because I can’t stand static cling.
By the way, I have a HE washer. This liquid is totally compatible.
Here’s your awesome printable! Take my advice and try this out. Enjoy!
- 1/3 bar Fels Naptha
- 1/2 cup Washing Soda
- 1/2 cup Borax
- 15-20 drops of your favorite essential oil (lemon is lovely!)
- Small bucket/container/jar (2 gallon size)
- Grate the soap (on your cheese grater)
- Put it into a large cooking pot.
- Add 6 cups of water, heating until soap melts.
- Add the washing soda & the borax and stir until dissolved.
- Remove from heat.
- Add cold water to the top of the cooking pot.
- Add fragrance, if desired.
- It will not turn into a gel. It will look more like "egg noodle soup". 🙂
- It works great and smells delicious!
- I always add a scoop of an Oxygen cleaner, like OxyClean, to each load of laundry. My favorite is from the dollar store. (LA's Totally Awesome Oxygen Orange)
SIGN UP TODAY for the MINI-MARRIAGE CHALLENGE
Register for a FREE 5-Day Mini-Marriage Workshop. It's packed full of great lessons, encouragement, activities and printables to give you a happy marriage!