Oh, my! This soup.
I love Chicken Tortilla soup, but this recipe kills every attempt I have ever made before. Make gallons of this because it reheats beautifully! It actually gets better the next day. The wonderful thing about this soup, is that it is hearty enough for my guys (because the recipe calls for a layer of rice and a layer of chipotle chicken), but you could just eat the broth and beans for a super healthy lunch (with staying power!)
I made this the other night and my husband and I absolutely loved this! It’s on the heavy rotation for dinner meals now. And also for lunch and school lunches for the next day. You could also freeze it for an quick and healthy dinner when you don’t have time to cook.
Here is the printable Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe. Enjoy!
- Vegetable oil
- 1 Red Onion, minced
- 1 Poblano Pepper, small dice
- 6 cups Chicken Broth
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 Jalapeno, minced. Seeds & ribs removed
- 1 tsp ground Cumin
- 2 tsp ground Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Chipotle Paprika (optional, but SO GOOD)
- 3 cans Fire Roasted Tomatoes, diced
- 4-6 cans Black Beans, rinsed
- Shredded cheese
- 4 cups White or brown rice (it is better if it is 1 or 2 days old, but it is fine freshly made as well)
- 3 breasts or 6 thighs of Chipotle chicken
- PREMAKE: (I made chicken thighs in the crock pot until they were falling off the bone. Seasoned with chipotle liquid and 1 diced chipotle canned pepper. Use more or less for your taste.)
- Rice - It is best if the rice is a little dry, but I made mine fresh and it was just fine!
- In a large soup pot, heat oil and sauté onions and poblano peppers for 5 min on medium heat, until softened.
- Add garlic, jalapeño, cumin, chili powder, chipotle paprika and cook for additional 5 min.
- In a blender, place 1/2 broth and all the tortillas and puree until just about smooth.
- Add blended mixture to the pot, along with the rest of the chicken broth.
- Add the tomatoes and beans and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes on medium low.
- Season to taste.
- TO SERVE:
- Spoon in a cup of rice.
- Spoon in a cup of chicken.
- Cover the rice and chicken with the soup.
- Add shredded cheese, a hearty handful of cilantro, and the juice of 1/2 lime.
Would you like to check out some more healthy recipes for your family? Check these out!
Enjoy & Happy Fall!
SIGN UP TODAY for the MINI-MARRIAGE CHALLENGE
Register for a FREE 5-Day Mini-Marriage Workshop. It's packed full of great lessons, encouragement, activities and printables to give you a happy marriage!