Did you know there is a grilled cheese contest being put on by the Cheese Academy of Wisconsin? Since I love a yummy grilled cheese, it gave me the perfect excuse to experiment with some wonderful Wisconsin cheeses and try to find flavors that compliment their cheesy goodness! I am sharing my first entry with you, the Wisconsin Omelette Grilled Cheese. It’s killer! Be careful when flipping and cutting this one, as it can get messy if your eggs are too much like scrambled. Try to cook them in the style of the French Omelette. Click here for that recipe post.
Wisconsin Omelette Grilled Cheese
6-8 thick slices of Sartori Montamore, made in Wisconsin
2 slices of sourdough bread
2 T butter, room temperature
2 eggs, preferably organic but whatever floats your boat!
1 jalapeno pepper
- 6-8 thick slices of Sartori Montamore, made in Wisconsin
- 2 slices of sourdough bread
- 2 T butter, room temperature
- 2 eggs, preferably organic but whatever floats your boat!
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 tomato
- To prepare the bread, warm a cast iron skillet, add one tablespoon of olive oil and brown the inside sides of the bread.
- To make eggs, whisk eggs together and S&P. Cook like a French omelette, low heat doing figure eights to create curds but not break them apart.
- Char the Jalepeno on the gas burner until it's black all over, once cooled use a small knife to scrape off the black skin, thinly slice.
- Slice tomato, removing seeds.
- Remove bread slices from pan placing cheese slices on the two warm sides. Layer eggs, tomato, jalepeno, S&P and top with other slice of cheese covered bread
- Butter bread and place butter side down on a medium-low cast iron skillet. Cover with a lid or another pan leaving a large opening for steam to escape. When lightly brown, flip and cook until other side is done.
- Remove carefully, cut in half and Enjoy!
- Tip Jar: Grill the sides of the bread that will be on the inside before assembling. This gives extra crunch and helps heat the ingredients on the inside while the outside of the bread is nicely grilling! Olive oil works well for the inside of the bread.
Are you entering the contest? Here is the link for more info and to enter your prize-winning grilled cheese. Shout it out in the comments below, if you plan on entering the contest. The prize is $15,000! Good luck!
SIGN UP TODAY for the MINI-MARRIAGE CHALLENGE
Register for a FREE 5-Day Mini-Marriage Workshop. It's packed full of great lessons, encouragement, activities and printables to give you a happy marriage!